Wednesday 15 January 2014

R.I.C.E...


Playing a Championship side away from home in the FA Cup is hard enough, but to play it in the conditions we did last night was something I haven't experienced since I played at Chesham Moor with my close mates after school and even then I don't think the pitch was that bad. 


Unfortunately for us what could of been a rewarding win ended up being a 2-2 draw, which I'm sure many that were there would agree we had the better chances. Anyone paying close attention may have noticed myself and Dave Kitson at the final whistle walking straight to the dugout getting ready to prepare ourselves for extra time, only to realise the game was over! The fact that we've had so many games cancelled has had an affect on me knowing the difference between extra time and a replay. 

After the match in the dressing room a lot of the lads had bloody knees from the sand that they obviously covered the pitch with to help the drainage. When I looked down at my legs they had all the signs that I'd played in a typical FA Cup tie...



I arrived home around 12.30am and couldn't get to sleep until around 1.30am, which is kind of the norm for most footballers after an evening game with all the adrenaline still pumping. 

I woke up around 8.30 (that's a lie in) and then it's the dreaded climb out of bed to see what parts of my body are sore. With the pitch being like quick sand it was always inevitable that my calfs were going to be screaming. The stairs are my nemesis but are good for judging whether the rest of my day is going to be pain free or not. 

Breakfast was my normal NutriBullet smoothie. This machine is a godsend for me. Today's ingredients were...

Kale
Spinach
Lime
Ginger
Beetroot
Apple
Hemp powder
Mejool date
Porridge oats
Maple syrup
Almond nuts
Blueberries
Water




Sounds disgusting but tastes surprisingly pleasant and it's a great way to get all the goodness in my body after a strenuous game. After that I've spent most the day with my youngest daughter, sister and niece which at some point involved a coffee shop trip. If I was to just stay in bed all day or laze around the house I'd end up very stiff. My body needs loosening up so walks or a little exercise are vital. 

I have to admit, since I've been home at around 4pm I've hit a brick wall and struggled to move off the the sofa but that's the norm for me. 

As for now, I've got my feet up with the Man City game on ready for the weekend game ahead.